Jeffco Public Schools strives to select the best learning resources
available for students and has developed a selection process to ensure
our textbooks and educational material meet our goals.
committee made up of professional educators, parents and community
members meets each school year to evaluate learning material and make
recommendations to the Jefferson County Board of Education, which has
The committee utilizes the following criteria:
- Alignment to Jeffco Public Schools curriculum documents (which are based on Colorado Content Standards).
- Any available student performance data from use in pilot schools.
- Any available evaluations from teachers and/or students (as appropriate) who have used the materials.
- The quality of language, illustrations, and photographs to ensure
that the materials are not discriminatory and are age appropriate.
- Ability to meet diverse needs of students.
- Professional reviews from applicable journals and/or professional associations.
- Alignment with and support for the Board's Ends Policies.
The print learning resources recommended for adoption by the
committee are placed in branches of the Jefferson County Public Library
for review by the public for two weeks.
Approvals and Appeals
Appeals concerning learning resources can be brought by any Jefferson
County citizen, student, parent or guardian of district students, or
Challenges are heard by a committee of district parents, teachers,
and administrators, which submits a recommendation to the superintendent
for a decision. The superintendent submits the decision to the Board of
Education. A challenge will only result in the withdrawal of a learning
resource with Board of Education final approval.
Approved Textbooks 2015-16
Educational Research & Design
Chief Academic Officer